Its lead single and title track was released on September 19, 2018.
On December 25, 2016, Avril announced that she would have released the album in 2017. On March 1, 2017, she announced her label change, and that now she would have been under BMG US and release the album in the same year. However, no new music from the album was published in that year.
In early 2017, Lavigne began sharing song lyric hints, suggesting that future songs may be titled "Warrior" or "Crush". On March 1, she announced that she has signed with BMG Records and promised to release the album in 2017. On May 16, 2017, Avril officially began production for the album, with J.R. Rotem who has been producing for it.
On January 21, 2018, Lavigne responded to a fan on Twitter about the album, saying: "[The album is] personal, dear, intimate, dramatic, raw, powerful, strong and unexpected. This record is a true emotional journey. On February 7, 2018, Lavigne posted on Twitter about the album, saying: "[...] I’ve started mixing my album and all of the pieces are finally coming together. These songs are so close to my heart. Wish me luck while I throw every last drop of me into these final stages. [...]" In May, Avril finished recording the album, though she may have worked with songwriter Bonnie McKee after that.
On July 7, 2018, Lavigne stated that the album cover was being shot that week.
On August 18, 2018, Lavigne posted on her social media "Exciting things coming" and "prepping for my video shoot".
On September 6, 2018, Lavigne posted a letter to her fans on her official website, revealing she wrote and recorded most of the album on her couch due to Lyme disease. She also stated that "Head Above Water" was the first song she wrote for the album. To Lavigne, recording this album was a "victorious moment", a "huge accomplishment", describing it as "a very strong, triumphant, powerful and true record to me and my experiences over the last few years".
- "Head Above Water" serves as the album's lead single. It was released on September 19, 2018.
- "Make Your Move" (ft. Taylor Swift)
- "I Feel in Love With the Devil"
- "Dumb Blonde"
- "In Touch" (ft. Bebe Rexha)
- "Lucky One's"
- "Black & White"
- "Don't Stop"
- "It Was in Me"
- The album is rumored to have 17-18 tracks.
- Avril has been collaborating with Zane Carney, a singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- The album is suspected to have some rock influences.
- ↑ Twitter post by AvrilLavigne (May 3, 2018).
- ↑ Instagram post by avrillavigne (December 25, 2016).
- ↑ Instagram post by avrillavigne (March 1, 2017).
- ↑ Twitter post by avrillavigne (January 21, 2018).
- ↑ Twitter post by avrillavigne (February 7, 2018).
- ↑ Instagram post by avrillavigne (July 7, 2018).
- ↑ Avril Lavigne Hints New Music Could Be Coming Soon: 'Prepping for Video Shoot'
- ↑ Lavigne's letter to fans on avrillavigne.com
- ↑ Nickelback's Chad Kroeger On His 'Close' Relationship With Ex Avril Lavigne (June 15, 2017).
- ↑ Instagram post by avrillavigne (September 1, 2017).
- ↑ Instagram post by avrillavigne (October 3, 2017).